You must fill out a FAFSA application in order to qualify for any type of financial aid for college. Before completing your FAFSA application, you and your parent must apply for a FSA ID which is your electronic passport to federal student aid online. The website for the FAFSA application is fafsa.ed.gov.
FAFSA application window is October 1, 2020 - March 2, 2021. The application will request your parent's/guardian's taxes from 2 years ago. (Example: if filling out your FAFSA for the 2021-2022 college school year, use 2019 taxes.)
There are two (2) different government financial aid awards available: one from the federal government and one from the state government. You apply for federal aid by completing the FAFSA application. State aid is applied through the FAFSA application, as well as with the Cal Grant application. VVUHSD will automatically apply for the Cal Grant, as long as the student's social security number is on record.
Federal aid is approximately $5,500 per year. State aid can be up to $9,800 per year.
Before starting your FAFSA application, it is helpful to have the following information:
- Student Pin Number (apply at fafsa.ed.gov)
- Parent/Guardian Pin Number (apply at fafsa.ed.gov)
- Student's social security number
- Parent/Guardian social security number(s)
- Parent/Guardian birthdate(s)
- Parent/Guardian 2019 tax return forms
- Current bank statements for checking and savings balances
- Current investment records (if any) including real estate other than the house you live in
- Records of any untaxed income you received in 2018 (child support, veteran benefits, etc)
- Driver's Licenses
- If not a U.S. citizen; your alien registration or permanent resident card
- List of colleges to which you would like to apply
For help in completing your FAFSA, please sign up for one of the upcoming workshops.
Workshops will be virtual this school year; keep a lookout for the upcoming dates and times.